The most up to date information is available at the NC Board of Elections website.
Any North Carolina registered voter may request, receive, and vote a mail-in absentee ballot. No special circumstance or reason is needed. Registered voters in North Carolina must request an absentee ballot with an official N.C. Absentee Ballot Request Form. There are two ways to access and submit the form:
- Online with “Option 1 – Request an Absentee Ballot” (coming in 2022) at the N.C. Absentee Ballot Portal.
- On paper with the English N.C. Absentee Ballot Request Form for 2022 (download coming in 2022) or the Spanish N.C. Absentee Ballot Request Form for 2022 (download coming in 2022).
Dates and Deadlines
The voter registration deadline is 25 days before Election Day. Find out how to register.
|Absentee-By-Mail Date or Deadline|
|March 28, 2022: The date by which the boards of elections must make available absentee ballots, barring any action by the State Board or the courts to postpone that date, under N.C.G.S. 163-227.10(a).|
|April 22, 2022: Civilian voter registration deadline for the 2022 statewide primary.|
|May 10, 2022: Deadline for civilians to submit an absentee ballot request form for the 2022 statewide primary.|
|May 17, 2022: Election Day for the 2022 statewide primary and civilian absentee ballot return deadline.|
FAQ: Voting By Mail
When can I request an absentee ballot for the May statewide primary?
You can request an absentee ballot for the 2022 statewide primary as soon as the N.C. Absentee Ballot Request Form for 2022 is available in 2022 until the deadline: Alamance county board of elections must receive your request form by 5 p.m. on May 10, 2022, one week before Election Day.
Please include enough time for your request to be received by the deadline if you submit the request form by mail. The State Board encourages voters to request their absentee ballot as early as possible to ensure enough time to complete and return the ballot. Requests received after the deadline will not be processed.
1-Complete immediately upon receipt.
2-Return it to Alamance Board of
Elections at 115 S. Maple Street, Graham from 8 AM to 5
PM Monday through Friday. ( No Drop Boxes in NC)
3-Complete Ballot ASAP upon Receipt.
a. Follow Instructions Very Carefully. HERE
b. Make Sure You Have One Witness and that your witness signs the return envelope & also includes their address
Absentee voters must vote on their ballot in the presence of one witness. A witness must also sign the absentee return envelope.
c. Make Certain Envelope Certification is Signed!
If you are going to wait to fill your ballot out until the last 2 weeks before the election please plan on dropping it off IN PERSON, at the Alamance Board of Elections
North Carolina State Board of Elections gives 12 reasons why absentee voting is safe.
Here are 12 reasons why absentee by-mail voting is a safe way to vote according to the state’s Board of Elections:
- Election officials send ballots only to registered voters who request them using official request forms.
- The voter or their near relative must fill out and sign the request form. Required information includes the voter’s date of birth and the voter’s driver’s license number or last four digits of their Social Security number.
- Fraudulently or falsely completing the form is a Class I felony.
- In 2020, voters must vote on their ballot in the presence of one witness. The witness must sign the absentee return envelope, certifying that the voter marked their ballot and is the registered voter submitting the ballot.
- Only the voter or their near relative or legal guardian may return the ballot. County boards of elections keep a log of who drops off absentee ballots.
- Upon return, the county board of elections reviews the absentee envelope to ensure compliance with the legal requirements.
- Once the ballot is accepted, that voter is marked in the system as having voted in that election. If that voter tries to vote in person, poll workers will know the person has already submitted an absentee ballot.
- Data on who has requested absentee ballots is now confidential until Election Day. This reduces the ability of third parties to attempt to tamper with ballots, as they will not know who has requested a ballot or when ballots are sent out.
- Criminal penalties have been increased for absentee voting fraud-related offenses.
- Many people are watching North Carolina’s absentee voting process, including candidates, political parties, county boards of elections, political and data scientists and the media. If there are anomalies or questionable activities, they will be reported to election officials.
- The State Board Investigations Division, which has a dedicated team of experienced investigators, investigates credible allegations of election fraud and refers cases to prosecutors when warranted by the evidence.
- The State Board conducts post-election audits which will catch inconsistencies which can then be investigated by the board or the Investigations Division.
Check Your Voter Registration!
You can do same day voter registration or make changes to your voter registration during early voting.
Check your Voter Registration HERE
If you have a NC driver’s license or DMV-issued ID, you can also update your voter registration or register to vote at the link HERE.